What do I do if my immigration application is denied?

If your immigration application is denied, it’s important that you do not panic. Immigration application denials, while serious, are common and there are ways that they can be dealt with through an appeal process. However, it is vital that you act as quickly as possible in order to meet the strict appeal deadlines, which can be weeks or days. Immigration Refusal

Because immigration applications are denied for many different reasons, there are many different ways of appealing them. Which of the appeal methods is right for you depends on the reason for the denial, whether you are in Canada at the moment, and what type of application it was.

What types of immigration appeals are there in Canada?

You may be eligible to make a request for restoration to the Case Processing Center, or CPC, after you have been notified of the refusal.

You may be eligible to appeal your immigration application denial to the Immigration Adjudication Division,or IAD, after you have been notified of the denial.

You may also be able to appeal your immigration application denial to the Federal Court of Canada after you were notified of the denial, depending on the circumstances.

If you have had an immigration application denied, please contact our immigration law firm as soon as possible. We are here to help you with all of your immigration needs, including the more difficult ones like appeals.

Give us a call at the telephone number above, or contact us using the form on the right for assistance. We are here to help you!

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

14 thoughts on “What do I do if my immigration application is denied?

  1. Carol


    We are in the process of applying for refugees citizens in Canada , I am the main applicant as we lived in Dubai more than six months we have to get a PCC me and my husband the problem is my husband was deported for a false document act is this a crime will get clearance.
    Please reply

    1. Immigration Lawyers

      Hi Carol,
      Thank you for your inquiry, I’m glad you contacted us! I would love to help you during your immigration journey as applying for refugees into Canada. We have helped thousands of clients in your similar situation, and we may be able to assist you! I do need to take a closer look at you and your husband’s case. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions plus it will also increase the chance of approval of the visa you are inquiring. Please, complete this form for me http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/ it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about you and your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

  2. Saundy

    My application for work permit was denied, I gave birth in Canada now that my child is Canadian born. How can I get a visa? I had to leave Canada immediately and now I would love to go back.

    1. Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Saundy. You will have to reapply for a visa to come back to Canada. The good news is that since your child is a Canadian citizen, you will not need any visas for your child to accompany you.
      Regards, Vahe

  3. Christian Bagabo

    I have been denied a student visa twice and i feel my application was unfaily processed. Can i appeal this decisition to federal court?

    1. Mira Freiwat

      Hello Christian,

      Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, there are no appeals for negative decisions made on Visas. But you can definitely reapply, although I would not recommend you do it on your own considering your previous refusals. I know first hand how frustrating this process can be, especially considering that you have more than one refusal tagged on to your name in CIC records. The good news is that here at VisaPlace we have helped hundreds of applicants over the past 20 years have negative decisions on their applications overturned and Visas issued, regardless of the number of previous refusals they may have received. I would be more than happy to assist you further, but in order for me to do so, I must learn some more information about you as an applicant, the previous applications that were submitted and refused, and the refusal reasons.

      Kindly complete this form for me Christian, http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/ as it will provide me with the details necessary for me to proceed. You will be contacted as soon as it has been reviewed. MF

  4. Jason

    Hi, i was deported from canada because my refugue application was unsuccessful.
    I need to get a criminal record check ? Does this deportation cause a criminal record?

    1. Mira Freiwat

      Hello Jason,

      Thank you for your post. You are required to provide a background check from your country of Citizenship/Residence as part of the Immigration process, but being deported is not a criminal offense nor will it appear on your record as such. MF

  5. Robert Lee johnson

    I was arrestep in British Columbia for a med robbery done my time 40 years ago .I’m wanting to go to Windsor ont.to see girl friend .what do I have to do to enter Canada

    1. Mira Freiwat

      Hello Robert,

      Thank you for your question. In order for me to guide you on the proper path and advise you correctly, I would need to learn more about your case. Kindly complete this form for me http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/ as it will provide me with all the details I need, and you will be contacted once it has been reviewed. MF

  6. parampreet

    As per Section 40(1)a of IRPA I was banned for 2 years in 2010 for admissibility in Canada because I had applied a fraudulent loan letter in my student visa application.Now since that tenure is over do I risk being rejected if apply under skilled worker category for Canada as a dependent applicant with my husband being the principal applicant?Also they have written my previous case no.and 40a on my passport’s last page.Does it affect the chances of visa approval for any other country too?If yes, what should I do?

    1. Sonia Grewal

      Hello Parampreet,

      Thank you for your question.

      Once the two year ban has passed you are legally able to submit an application to immigrate to Canada. You must fully disclose the previous immigration history, however, that history does not bar you from coming back to Canada. It is important that any future application to Canada be done with due diligence to avoid any potential issues arising from your previous immigration history. I highly suggest that you visit our website as http://www.visaplace.com and fill in an assessment form for a consultation with one of our experienced immigration practitioners.

      1. Anonymous

        Hi..I’m a TFW in Canada for 2 years and i just got home last year.My application for immigration was denied because my previous employer deinied that I’ve never work for them but I really did work for them and I have proofs.Though Alberta isn’t that kind to me for accepting my reason I still want to go there for, for me, it’s such a great place to live in.So I’m just wondering if i can still go back?

        1. Vahe Mirzoyan

          You need professional legal immigration help. If you have legitimate proof of employment, a case can be prepared for you.
          Regards, Vahe


Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.