2 Answers

What is the process for filing Form I-130, for a family member?

Asked by: 1323 views , , ,
USA Immigration

What is the process for filing Form I-130, for a family member?

2 Answers

1. Jenny on May 29, 2012 Reply

Hi! If you are a US citizen, you will have to file a separate Form I-130 for every eligible family member such as your spouse, unmarried child below 21, unmarried child age 21 or over, your child regardless of age, brother or sister age 21 or older, and parents who are 21 years or older.

If you are a lawful US permanent resident you may file the form for your spouse, unmarried child below 21, or unmarried child age 21 or older.

Submit your completed Form I-130 as well as your supporting documents showing your US citizenship, your permanent resident status, and the proof of your family relations to the proper USCIS center. Include a check or money order in the amount of $420 as payment for the filing fee.

If your form and documents are complete and sufficient, the USCIS will notify you in writing of its decision.

0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

2. Laura E. on May 31, 2012 Reply

Hi Howard!

If you are a US citizen, you will have to file a separate Form I-130 for every eligible family member such as your spouse, children, parents or siblings. If you are a lawful US permanent resident you may file the form for your spouse, unmarried child below 21, or unmarried child age 21 or older.

The first stage of the application process involves a preliminary review to ensure that there is a legitimate qualifying relationship. For example, if you were sponsoring your spouse, you would need to demonstrate that you were lawfully married. Once your application is approved at the first stage (USCIS) you will then need to submit proof that the sponsor meets the financial threshold to sponsor their relative on their own. If you do not qualify on your own, you may use a joint sponsor or rely on yours or your relatives assets to meet the threshold.

Once the National Visa Center has received your application, they will schedule a biometrics appointment on your behalf. Once this is completed, an interview will be scheduled at the U.S. Consulate in Montreal (if they are from Canada). This is the last stage of the application process. At the interview, your relative will be advised whether or not they have been approved for Permanent Residency in the United States.

0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question