- Canada Visas
- US Visas
- Book a Consultation
Can a Canadian work in the United States? The answer is, yes! However, like every foreign national who wishes to work in the United States, they do require a work visa. But Canadians are usually luckier than other foreign nationals because there are more opportunities for them to obtain a work visa for the United States, and the process is generally faster.
One such option, and a very popular one at that, is the TN Visa. Canadian citizens (permanent residents cannot apply, but Mexican citizens can) can apply for a TN Visa to work in the United States if they meet all of the requirements. For starters, if they work in a professional occupation that generally requires a high level of education, such as a biologist, a chemist, a pharmacist, a scientist, a registered nurse, a doctor, an engineer, a therapist or a lawyer, the TN Visa may be the perfect choice.
There is a long list of requirements for a TN Visa, so it is important to ensure you meet them before you apply. If you are unsure of whether you meet them, you should talk to an immigration lawyer.
1. You must be a Canadian citizen, and have the documentation to demonstrate this.
2. You must have a job offer from a US employer that is of a temporary nature in a qualifying occupation. The list of those qualifying occupations is available here.
3. Your job offer will have to be formatted for a TN Visa as a petition on your behalf for a TN Visa, which you will include in your own application. Most employers get immigration lawyers to draft these job offers for them. The job offer will indicate all of the details of the job to the immigration department in the United States.
4. You must be qualified for the job you have been offered, and be able to show a resume, educational transcripts, degrees, diplomas and work history if necessary.
5. You might have to provide references from former or current employers.
If you do not meet one or more of these requirements, you might not be qualified for a TN Visa and may need to look into the other types of United States work visas available. However, if your job offer is not on the qualified job list, we may be able to help you.
Note: Don’t be fooled into thinking that just because the TN visa is considered a “fast” way to enter Canada, that it is easy to obtain. This is absolutely not the case and you will benefit greatly from assessing your case and reviewing your application with a licensed immigration lawyer to avoid being denied.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.