How to Renew a PR Card

Upon landing in Canada, permanent residents will receive a PR Card (or permanent residence card). This PR Card is used as an identity document when they enter and leave Canada.

Renewing a PR Card

PR cards are good for five years, and then they have to be renewed. If you know that your PR card is going to expire soon, it should be renewed as soon as possible using a PR Card renewal application.
This application will disclose information about your travel outside of Canada and your employment history, and help the immigration officer who is in charge of processing your application to determine if you meet residency obligations in Canada.
It can take several weeks to renew a PR Card, which is why it’s important that you apply for a PR Card renewal at least two months before your current PR Card expires.
Depending on your situation, you may be able to expedite the processing period for your PR Card.

PR Card renewal refused

If your PR Card renewal application is refused because you may not meet the residency requirements in Canada, you may be able to request an exemption under humanitarian and compassionate grounds.
Speak to one of our immigration lawyers today using the form on the right if you have concerns about being refused for a PR Card renewal, if you need assistance with a PR Card decision appeal, or if your PR Card is expiring soon.
For more information about renewing a PR Card, click here.

Canadian Permanent Resident Card, how to renew a pr card, permanent residence card renewal, Permanent Resident Card, PR Card, PR Card renewal, PR Card Renewals

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

2 thoughts on “How to Renew a PR Card

  1. Ricardo R

    Hi there,

    My wife and I became a permanent residents of Canada in August 2009. I landed in Calgary. Due to an array of circumstances We were in and out of Canada. My wife might have been there a total of nine months, while I have been there for approximately fourteen months in total. Within that time, my wife and I had a daughter who is a Canadian citizen. Now, we have a chance to return to Canada, via Toronto and would like to renew our PR cards that expire in October 2014. We are currently in Mexico city, but are planning to return to Canada in August. I would like to ask if there is a chance for us to renew our cards without meeting residency obligations, or would we have to resort to humanitarian grounds, considering the fact that we would like our daughter to grow up there.

    Thank you for reading this
    I look forward to your reply.

    Sincerely yours,

    1. Sarah Jane MacDonald

      Hello Ricardo,
      The Government of Canada requires that Permanent Residents (with PR status under 5 years) are physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days out of the past 5 years. With that being said, there are certain circumstances where your time spent outside of Canada will not count towards the 730 days. It would be best for you to discuss your case in detail with an experienced immigration professional. I have passed your question, along with the email address that you have provided, to a member of our Canadian Immigration Team. You will be contacted very soon to discuss your case further.

      All the best,
      Sarah Jane


Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.