US & Canada Immigration News

Fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and immigration options.

What if your PR card expires?

Permanent resident cards (PR cards) all have an expiry date, and the government recommends that you take the necessary steps to renew your card at least six months in advance of this expiry date. However, often times permanent residents are unable to do so and end up with an expired card. PR Card Renewal

So what happens if your permanent resident card expires while you are in Canada? Well, it’s not like a driver’s license where it’s illegal to drive with an expired license. You’re still a permanent resident of Canada, just with an expired card. However, you need to take the steps to rectify the situation and renew your card.

What if my PR card expires outside of Canada

If your permanent resident card expires while you are outside of Canada, that’s where the real obstacles are. This is because to renew your card, you need to be in Canada. But you cannot re-enter Canada with an expired permanent resident card. Instead, you will need a travel document to re-enter Canada, and this can be applied for at the Canadian consulate in the country where you are staying.

But obtaining a travel document is a lot like renewing your permanent resident card, because you need to prove to United States immigration authorities that you have met the residency obligation in order to maintain your permanent resident status – that you have been in Canada for at least two of the past five years. If you can’t, you can run into difficulties in getting a travel document and may have to make a humanitarian and compassionate case for yourself.

Do you need assistance with your permanent resident card? Whether your card is expired, you need to renew your card, you need a travel document or you haven’t met the residency requirement for permanent resident status – give us a call. We can help.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.