When Can You Obtain a US Work Visa Without a Job Offer?

Normally, a job offer will be required of you when you want to work permanently as an immigrant or temporarily as a nonimmigrant in the United States. Some of you have probably heard that not all US work visas are issued on an approved petition filed on behalf of the worker by the prospective employee.

Green Card Permanent Residence for USASome permanent worker visas that do not require a job offer and a sponsor in the US are EB-1, EB-4, and EB-5.

An EB-1 visa is intended for those who have exceptional and extraordinary expertise in sciences, education, arts, business, or athletics; and for multinational managers and executives.

An EB-4 visa is given to people under special circumstances for which they are called special immigrants. To name a few, religious workers and employees of US foreign service posts fall under this preference category.

An EB-5 visa, which is known as investor visa, is reserved for business people who can invest at least $500,000 under certain circumstances.

The permanent worker visa categories that require a job offer from an employer that will serve as a sponsor are EB-2 and EB-3.

If you have a sponsor for your employment and the prescribed quality of education, work experience, and appropriate skills, you may be eligible for a permanent job in the United States.

In all cases, when an employer is required to sponsor a worker, the employer must file with USCIS a nonimmigrant or an immigrant petition on behalf of the person seeking to come to the United States for temporary or permanent employment.

If you have trouble applying for an employment visa in spite of your eligibility and the fulfillment of the minimum requirements in the type of visa you are applying for, we would like to hear from you. You can always trust an established firm that has been in immigration practice for over 15 years. On the right, you can see the contact form where you can write us.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

7 thoughts on “When Can You Obtain a US Work Visa Without a Job Offer?

  1. Abby

    Hi team,
    I have specific skills which are very niche in US.I am looking to options to work in USA.I have applied in many firms and meet there education and experience criteria but as I don’t have work Visa, I always get the response that I can’t get sponsorship.
    Please suggest me How can I apply for work Visa without job Offer and if I can , than what’s the process to apply for that Visa?
    I am certified in Inpatient modules of Epic EMR.

    1. Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Abby. Thank you for writing to us. We hear about situations like yours a lot. Most of the time, the potential employer is unsure what is required from the immigration point of view. A potential employer may not have to “sponsor” you. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you. They will go over all the details that you will need to explain to the potential employer. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Muga

  2. Veronica Guthrie

    I am a primary teacher with a First Class Honors Degree and wish to move to the USA to teach at Elementary level. I have previously attempted to apply for teaching vacancies in American schools, but due to me not possessing a Social Security Number I have found this very difficult. Therefore, I have tried to apply for a working Visa and Green Card.

    However, after searching for information about exactly how to apply for a working Visa without a sponsor or definite job offer, I am confused as to how I should proceed.

    I would be very grateful if someone could advise me on how to continue with this process or point me in the direction of an agency in Scotland that I could speak to for advice.

    1. Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Veronica. If you are looking to teach in the US, you will need to find a job from a US educational institution prior to obtaining a work visa. Exceptions to that would be if you were deemed to have exceptional talent, or if you wanted to invest in a business.
      Regards, Muga

  3. Atta Seck

    Hello, i am a canadian Citizen looking to move to the united states for work. However, i do not have a job offer yet. How can i apply for a visa without a job offer. I don’t qualify Under any of the exceptional cases in the HB visas, i would like to explore a different options if possible.

    Thank you

    1. Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Atta. You definitely need a job offer form a US employer to obtain a work visa. Your other options are a study visa, investor visa ($500,000 minimum investment), or marriage.
      Regards, Vahe

  4. Valter Fernandes

    Hello Michael, great information you gave there.
    I have previously worked in the US in an Oil and Gas company under a H1-B visa sponsorship. Unfortunately I lost my job due to personal cuts on the company and this made the foreigners the first to be let go.
    Now I have a very hard time to find a job in the U.S. since no company supports for visa sponsorship anymore.
    It is a shame. Even though I consider myself to have a great set of skills valuable for the industry, my job applications are not even considered due to not have a work visa already.

    I wonder how magnificent you have to be to actually get an EB-1 visa?


Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.