How to Migrate to Canada as a Teacher

Migration can be an extremely long and tiring process regardless of which country you are attempting to enter. Depending on the overall motivation when applying for citizenship, some may have a slightly shorter waiting period than others. Federal skilled workers, or FSW, are of greater value to a country and are therefore of a higher priority, especially in recession-proof industries. For example, doctors, dentists, and teachers are professions that will always be necessary. That’s good news if you are a teacher wanting to immigrate to Canada.



Selection Factors for FSW Approval

  • Highest level of education completed; higher than high school diploma preferred
  • Work experience shows at least one full year of employment that falls into one of the following occupational categories: managerial, professional, or technical/skilled
  • Fluent in French and/or English (both spoken in Canada)
  • Current age
  • Overall adaptability (usually tested through an assessment quiz)
  • Current state of employment (or offer)

Current Restrictions

As of July, 2012, the CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) halted acceptance of applications for the FSW program. It is noted that when the program’s updated criteria takes effect, applications will likely be accepted once again. This is hoped to be in full force in the beginning of 2013. However, this halt does not affect applicants that:

  • Have a current employment offer (already arranged in Canada) or
  • are internationally enrolled, or were enrolled within the last year in a Canadian PhD program.

Cost of Living Proof

Since Canada is not in the habit of allowing anyone to sleep on their streets, they will want to know just how you plan to begin your life once you have crossed the border. Any dependents you have will also be taken into consideration.

Having too much money without a paper trail is a quick way to get your application dismissed; while lacking enough funds to sustain your family for more than a month will typically end the same way.

Automatic Dismissal

Certain applicants will most likely be denied immediately. Ensure none of these discrepancies get in your way before moving forward.

  • Possession of a human/international rights violation
  • A criminal history
  • DUI convictions, whether because of alcohol or drugs, will most likely get you turned down
  • Ties or past links to organized crime
  • Showing certain, especially contagious, health conditions
  • Lack of proof of, or not enough financial security
  • Discrepancies on you applications
  • Anyone not complying with Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, or IRPA
  • Anyone found to be in relation to an inadmissible person

The First Step

If you are ready to take your teaching career to Canada, contact an immigration lawyer that specializes in Canadian immigration. Most lawyers offer very affordable or even free consultations to hear about your situation. If the consultation is positive, the lawyer can discuss the cost of his services from there, along with explaining exactly how much easier he can make the entire process for you. The first step to immigrating to Canada as a teacher begins with a simple assessment.  Contact Niren and Associates today to arrange your consultation.

application canada immigration permanent residence teacher

About Sam Moser

Read more

15 Responses to “How to Migrate to Canada as a Teacher”

  1. Amarjit says:

    i am a Graduate teacher and and also done bachelor of education with 9 years of experience and age 34 i am married and i have 1 kid and qualify ilets with 6 bands can i immigrant to Canada…………

    • Hello Amarjit,

      Thank you for your recent post.

      You might be eligible under Federal Skilled Worker class. However, we need more information from you to assess your eligibility. Please complete our online free assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your options.

      I turst the above meets with your satisfaction.




  3. lissara says:

    iam a mathematic teacher

    • Sarah Jane MacDonald says:

      Hello Lissara,
      Depending on your work experience and qualification, you may be a candidate for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. For example, University Professors are more likely qualified for FSW than elementary school teachers. There have also been recent changes to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program where qualified foreign workers are matched with employers in areas of the Country where there is a shortage of skilled, Canadian workers.
      To find out if you qualify for Canadian Immigration, please fill out our Online Eligibility Assessment Form and one of our experienced immigration consultants will be in contact with you within 24 hours.

      All the best,
      Sarah Jane

  4. A.B.M.Monirul Islam says:

    I am a teacher in Geography. Now my status Asst. Professor.I have 10 years work experience in a college.I am married and I have two daughter.I like to immigrant to Canada.How can I apply?

  5. Parminder says:

    I am working as assistant proffesor in commerce in india from four years and now I want to give my service in canada. I am married and my husband is accountant as part time. So we want to serve in canada now. Please intimate me regarding what we should have to done for this.So I hope helpful feedback from you.

  6. Pascal says:

    Hello mr Niren,

    As french teacher I ´m looking for a temporary job in Canada, outside Quebec. I’m teaching for a long time already, i am french, working in Holland.
    I would like to work in a canadian school. Which internet site do you advise me te look at?


    • Hello Pascal

      In order you to qualify for a work visa you would first need a job offer and then likely your employer would have to apply for an LMO and then you can apply. There are many job sites to help you find a job such as or
      If you find a job, feel free to contact us for assistance for a work visa.
      Good Luck!

  7. Stella says:

    I am a teacher employed by a state government in Nigeria. I have 8 years teaching experience. I am married with a kid and wishes to relocate with my family to canada. My husband also has 5 year teaching experience. What requirements do we need to meet in order to be able to apply?
    Would really appreciate a helpful feedback.


  8. SHIPRA says:

    I want a self evaluation to be done for immigration to Canada

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

  • You could be eligible for prizes
Start Your FREE
Top of page