US & Canada Immigration News

Fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and immigration options.

Can An American Work in Canada?


A question we are often asked at our immigration law firm is, can an American work in Canada? The answer is, yes!

Americans Working in Canada

If you are an American citizen, you may be eligible to apply for a Canadian work permit or apply to work in Canada under the Skilled Worker Program, which could lead to permanent residency.

Obtaining a Canadian Work Permit for Americans

Thanks to the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement), it is much easier for a United States citizen to obtain a work permit in Canada. However, there are still requirements that must be met. These requirements include:

  • You must have a job offer from a Canadian employer
  • The job offer must be listed in the NAFTA agreement
  • You must be able to prove you are a United States citizen
  • You must be able to demonstrate that you have work experience and education that make you qualified for the job you’ve been offered.

You may also be required to obtain a positive LMO. This is also called a Labour Market Opinion, and your employer will obtain this on your behalf while giving you a copy for your work permit application. This assures the Canadian government that there are no Canadians available to fill the job you’ve been offered.

Americans Applying Under the Skilled Worker Program

If you would like to work in Canada but would like to use your work experience as a pathway to permanent residency, you could also consider the Skilled Worker Program. To be eligible for the Skilled Worker Program, you will need to have at least one year of full-time work experience in a management occupation, a professional and related occupation, a technical occupation, skilled trade or paraprofessional occupation. You will also need to determine your eligibility based on the program’s point system, which measures certain criteria such as your language proficiency, work experience and age.

VisaPlace Can Help Americans Who Wish to Work in Canada

Are you an American citizen who wants to work in Canada? Visaplace is an award-winning immigration law firm that has helped many people work in Canada, including many United States citizens. Simply contact us through our online consultation form, we would be more than happy to set up an assessment of your case. You are closer than you think!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

2 thoughts on “Can An American Work in Canada?

  1. Kate Sloan

    I am a 51 yr old, female professional with over 10 yrs experience in management and environmental science, natural resources mgmt. I hold a PhD in Environmental Science and a Masters in Interdisciplinary Studies with a major in Anthropology and Archaeology. I have been working in my profession for past 11 years full time. I am an American citizen. I want to work in Vancouver for a few years. Is it possible? How would I be able to get a work permit? Are their reputable agencies that can help me find a job and obtain a permit to work and live for a temporary but longer term basis?

    1. owen

      Hello Kate,

      Thanks for the question. We can certainly help you obtain a Work Permit so that you can work in Vancouver, and your qualifications are very impressive. It may actually be possible for you to qualify for the express entry program, but in order to determine that you would have to speak with one of our experienced immigration lawyers who will be able to further advise you. Please see for more information.



Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.