My immigration application was refused, can you help me?

Immigration applications are refused frequently. While it is not an uncommon thing, it can have serious ramifications on your immigration progress in Canada. There are a number of different reasons why someone’s application can be refused, and what to do next depends on why it was refused. For example, are you ineligible to come to Canada under the stream you have chosen, or did you make a mistake on your immigration application? Immigration Refusal

The reason why your immigration application was denied, whether you are in Canada or not and what type of application it was all have an effect on which appeal option is right for you.

Appealing an immigration refusal

Before you appeal your immigration application denial, it’s important that you realize you may only have a short amount of time in which to do so. There are very specific requirements with regards to this, and you may only have a few weeks or days to appeal.

Your appeal options may include appealing to the Federal Court of Canada, appealing to the Immigration Adjudication Division, or making a request to restore your case to the Case Processing Centre. But not all of these options will apply in your case. That is why it is so important to speak with a licensed immigration lawyer as soon as you receive notification that your case has been denied.

We are an award-winning immigration law firm that has helped thousands of people in their journeys to Canada and the United States, and we can help you too. You can contact us by calling us a the telephone number above, or you can also send us an e-mail using the form on the right. We are waiting to hear from you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

9 thoughts on “My immigration application was refused, can you help me?

  1. SR Bishnoi

    My case for SINP occupation in demand got ineligible status.Reason given by them is-

    1. Family is not accompanying.

    My argument in advance were-
    I have 4 year old baby boy, he started his schooling in Hindi english school, if he will join me immediately it will be problem for him.

    2. Not sufficient proof of fund.

    As my family was not accompanying me I shown 12000 ISd as proof of fund but they said it suppose to be 18097 UsD because we are three member. Me my wife and child even they are not accompanying me.

    What should i do? Should i appeal for review of my application.


    1. Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello. Thank you for writing to us. It appears that your application did not make it clear to the reviewing officer what your situation actually was. This happens to many people who submit on their own. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you so that you can correct what happened and you can start your immigration journey. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Muga

  2. Nikki

    I am a temporary foreign worker who applied for work extension on my old lmo and was refused because I didn’t have a lmnia but all the others don’t have a lmnia they only have the lmo and they got the extension am confused

    1. Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Nikki. Thank you for writing to us. The extension that you file for must be with the same employer that you had your original visa with. You will also have to apply for a new LMIA. If you need help with your applications to make sure that you are not making any mistakes, and so that you will have a legal team taking care of all the matters that may arise, then please contact us to book a consultation with one of our immigration professionals. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Vahe

  3. Lanre Odediran


    I have just been refused Canada study permit by CHC in Nigeria for a Naval Architecture Diploma program at Memorial University ,New Newfoundland. The two grounds listed for rejection were 1. Not satisfied about available sufficient funds to pay for tuition and living expenses 2. Not satisfied I would leave Canada at the end of my Study stay ( Purpose of Visit).

    I submitted a UK bank statement with a balance of £26,000 British pounds Sterling equivalent to $40,000 CAD from sponsor who is my biological brother with whom I share the same last name. The tuition feeS is about $5,175 per annum with estimated living expenses of about $10,000. My sponsor.

    My school resumes on the 02/09/2014. Do you think I can appeal succcessfully and can you help?



    1. Sarah Jane MacDonald

      Hello Lanre,
      I am sorry to hear about your immigration refusal. We would be happy to review your case and assist you. Since you didn’t leave your email address could you please go here: and fill out the online assessment form. You will receive a reply from a member of the Canadian Immigration team within 24 hours.

      All the best,
      Sarah Jane

  4. Melina

    Hello I need help I apply for canada immigration to stay here because I came to my boyfriend I live with him 4 years and just recently we got baby, it wasn’t on purpose. Later few weeks police came to my house saying I got deported they sent me letter but I didn’t get it because they sent it on my old adress.
    Anyways my question is what can I do now? If I will go home how long I will stay there for? Thanks and have good day and if you can please write it on my email that was provided there.

    1. Michael Niren Post author

      Hello Melina

      This is a complicated situation that requires legal representation. Since you have a child born in Canada, the best interests of the child have to be considered. You can contact us at [email protected] for help

  5. Egle

    hello, I NEED help! My husband and I with 2 daughters (4 years and 11 years old) applied as refugee, our case was rejected it happened in ON, one lawyer sudjected to g to Saskatchewan and apply humanitarian, so we did, but we had an appointment an immigration asked us to leave in 2 month. Is it a little hope we can do about? We are 3 years in Canada for kids it is their place where they are happy, school, language if we have to brig them back it gonna be trauma for the rest of they live, my biggest daughter told if she has to leave she doesn’t want to live any more. Thank You
    H&P we applied just week before, so we don’t have any answer, we didn’t got removal order, we didn’t sign, we was asked by words and they didn’t set any date, it depend when we can get a passport for my little daughter it is expired, so I have to call to immigration and tell them when we can get a passport, but she doesn’t give us more than 2 month. Other thing we moved from Toronto informed immigration that we changed living place, but all the papers we still getting in to Ontario address, my parents live by that address, so we know what letters we got, but maybe it could help.

    What about that?

    “If it is less than a year since your refugee decision, you can only apply for permanent residence on H&C basis the affect on your children or if there is a life-threatening medical condition that cannot be treated in your home country.

    So you may have a chance on the H&C decision based on your daughters.

    Removal is a different matter. After applying for H&C you will need to ask for a deferral of the removal date. If the deferral is refused, you will need to go to Federal Court and ask for a stay pending a decision on the H&C application.

    I think you will need a lawyer because this has to be done right in order to have any chance of succeeding. As this is immigration, you can probably use an immigration lawyer from any part of Canada.

    In the meanwhile, it may make sense for you to apply for jobs from employers willing to apply for a work permit for you. A work permit could eventually lead to permanent residence. However, due to your refugee application, you will be restricted, so again, consult an immigration lawyer.

    I suggest reviewing the requirements of the Saskatchewan nominee program. You can find it here: Again, because of your refugee application, you may be restricted with respect to this program.

    I couldn’t find who could consult me in Human rights, but I still have a question, I need You MR and MRS to take it very seriously. I have 11 years daughter (teenager) immigration asked us to leave Canada in 2 month, My daughter doesn’t want to live after what she heard, she acts strange, I’m afraid to leave her by her self not even for one minute, if she will hurt her self, who will be responsible for that, did immigration officer had it to say i front of teenager, could Human rights help us at this point.
    Women and children[edit]
    Women and children are granted preferential treatment, respect and protection. Women must be protected from rape and from any form of indecent assault. Children under the age of eighteen must not be permitted to take part in hostilities.[53]

    *haw fast we could do SINP skilled workers?
    Thank You
    The thing I know it is always exception, not everybody is smart enough to find it, but some ARE


Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.